Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Because the Night

by Gregg Chadwick


Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Because The Night
 Greensboro - March 19, 2012


The first Bruce Springsteen concert I attended was a revelation, almost a rock n' roll revival. But there was also an undercurrent of pain and empathy. Two songs stood out for me that night. The first was Springsteen's haunting, solo piano version of The Promise which became a sound that I tried to get into my paintings from that day forward. The second was Bruce and the E Street Band's electrifying version of Because the Night. I knew that Springsteen had penned the song and then given the not quite finished work to Patti Smith to complete and record. I took that song on as my romantic talisman. Somewhere down the line I knew I would find a partner who would feel the passion from those haunting lines and that searing music just as I did. My wife, MarySue, and I found each other in 2003 and  our friend, the singer/songwriter Kelly Colbert performed a scorchingly hot version of Because the Night at our wedding on 7/7/07.


Gregg Chadwick
Endless Blue
40"x30" oil on linen 2012 (in process)



No comments: