Sunday, May 07, 2006

Lee Sevilla: A 71 Year Old Artist In Need


Lee Sevilla in her car with Sandy
Photo by Richard Hartog

In today's Los Angeles Times, Steve Lopez describes the predicament of Lee Sevilla. An emerging artist at 71, Lee Sevilla spends the nights overlooking the Pacific Ocean, sleeping in her car with her dog Sandy. The hours after work are spent at a local public library, where Ms. Sevilla works on her drawings hoping to scrape together a few more dollars to aid her living situation.

Steve Lopez writes, "About 10 years ago, Lee Sevilla answered a lifelong dream, got a student loan and took a few art classes at UCLA. I discovered I've got a gift," she said, proudly showing me her pencil sketches of wildlife and domestic animals. "If only I could figure out how to make something happen with it now. I seem to be in a rut there too."


Lee Sevilla
Photo by Richard Hartog

"She's an amazing woman, and so talented," said Roz Templin, a library assistant who, along with her colleague Kimberlee Carter, is trying to arrange an exhibit of Sevilla's work at the El Segundo Public Library.

Requests for artwork by Lee Sevilla should be sent to the following mail address:
Lee Sevilla
P.O. Box 5484, Playa del Rey, CA 90296.
Her current prices range from $60 to $20.

6 comments:

A COLLAGE A DAY said...

Where can I see her artwork?

r.

Gregg Chadwick said...

r.

You will need to contact her at:

Lee Sevilla
P.O. Box 5484, Playa del Rey, CA 90296.

There is nothing online at the moment.
I will post any images as I get them.

jurassicpork said...

I'd blogged about her last night and the link got noticed on Crooks and Liars. I'd like to set up a Paypal account for her. Can anyone here help and give me advice on how to set that up we can pull together and get her a place for her and her dog Sandy?

I figure 125 people giving a dollar a week would give her that $500 she needs to get her own place.

jurassicpork said...

Hi. It's me, again

I have a liberal political blog and, as I'd said earlier, I picked this story up on another blog and I'd lent my writing skills to this story by Lopez and got it linked on Crooks and Liars and Daily Kos. The response has been almost unanimously favorable and I'm getting up a list of subscribers who would be willing to donate two dollars a week to a Paypal account that I'm going to try to convince Lee to set up.

If anyone reading this would like to donate two bucks a week electronically to help oput a roof over her and her dog's head, please email me. But sending her money alone won't help her out much unless we organize this effort and make it a steady second income for her.

Polka Photos said...

Hello! The P.O. Box listed is incorrect... Please contact the Playa del Rey P.O. for the correct address # (310) 823-1206

Polka Photos said...

Hello! The P.O. Box listed is incorrect... Please contact the Playa del Rey P.O. for the correct address # (310) 823-1206