Saturday, October 17, 2009

13 Geisha (13芸者)

Sea of Spring 春の海 (Haru no umi)
Gregg Chadwick
Sea of Spring 春の海 (Haru no umi)
36"x48" oil on linen 2009

Japan has been a continual theme in my life and artwork. At age 10, I began my artistic dialogue with Japan before I even exited our arriving plane in Okinawa. On that journey I sketched the new world around me and have continued to do so over the years. My latest body of work was inspired by an artistic pilgrimage to Tokyo and Kyoto in March and April 2009. At that time, I was privileged to be in Kyoto at the height of the cherry blossom season.
Young geisha in training (maiko) and full geisha brought their own color and timeless beauty to the city.
The word geisha in Japanese means arts - person ( gei - sha). The flower and willow world of these caretakers of Japan's traditional arts seems to be as fragile and impermanent as the cherry blossoms that bloom so quickly then fall each year.

Gion Night
Gregg Chadwick
Gion Night
85"x37" oil on linen 2009

karyūkai ( 花柳界)
Gregg Chadwick
Karyūkai ( 花柳界)
85"x54" oil on linen 2009

Maiko's Night
Gregg Chadwick
Maiko's Night
36"x18" oil on linen 2009

Studio with Karyūkai ( 花柳界)Gregg Chadwick's Studio with Karyūkai ( Flower and Willow World ~ 花柳界)

No comments: