Friday, February 18, 2022

The Green Mill

 


Gregg Chadwick
Green Mill
30"x22" gouache on paper 2018

 I like to fly into Chicago and spend a few days exploring the city before we head into MKE. Chicago has proven to be a big inspiration for my paintings and I was able to exhibit and sell a number of my artworks at @theotherartfair in Chicago a few years back. My latest Chicago inspired painting to find a new home is my gouache on paper "Green Mill". It arrived safely this week and will be part of a private Chicago collection of artworks inspired by Chicago's answer to the Moulin Rouge in Paris - The Green Mill. The jazz infused nightclub used to cover a whole city block but was downsized quite a bit in its speakeasy days during Prohibition. Yes, one of Al Capone's crew was a part owner in that era and you can still sit in Al Capone's private booth. But for me, the most exciting part of the Green Mill's rich history is the musical echoes of all the greats who have played in the club. Billie Holiday, Tommy Dorsey, Sophie Tucker, Clifford Jordan, Benny Goodman, John Bany, Bernard “Pretty” Purdie, Michael Jones, Chris Foreman, and @kurtelling .
#art #contemporaryart #chicago #jazz #music #greenmill #saxophone

No comments: