Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg 1925 - 2008


Robert Rauschenberg
October 22, 1925 - May 12, 2008
As Seen by Chuck Close
140 x 112 cm color digital pigment print 1996


On the New York Times website, dancer and choreographer, Paul Taylor has written a moving farewell to Bob:
"Robert Rauschenberg’s work and overall spirit as an artist and human being had an ENORMOUS impact on shaping my own direction and conviction as an artist. I am deeply indebted to his liberating approach in working with any-&-all materials including other people. The R.O.C.I. period equally demonstrated his love for mankind through our creations and showed that we ARE all in this together after all. He changed my life and blew my mind and I am a better person/artist for having been touched by him (literally even).
You were the BEST sir and I say God Bless You Bob! Goodbye."

Michael Kimmelman's farewell: Robert Rauschenberg, Titan of American Art, Is Dead at 82

Christopher Knight from the Los Angeles Times writes: Robert Rauschenberg, 82; influential artist mixed painting, sculpture and cast-off items

New York Times Page on Rauschenberg

No comments: