Wednesday, January 05, 2022

First Dream, First Sale

 




In Japan the first dreams of the New Year, hatsu-yume 初夢, traditionally provide markers for the dreamer's upcoming year.

In that spirit, perhaps the first artwork sold in a new year provides inspiration for the months to come. My painting Monk Station is the first sale of 2022. 

 I was honored that Saatchi Art included an artwork of mine in their new Seeds of Optimism collection.

"Manifest a happy and bright new year with a joyous artwork by one of our top artists from around the globe." Curated by Bethany Fincher - Assistant Curator at Saatchi Art 

In my new interview with Art Squat Magazine, I discuss my Saffron Road series:

"Twenty years ago in Thailand, I woke up at dawn and spent the morning quietly and carefully observing the saffron robed monks on their morning pilgrimages. On my return to the U.S. later that week, I began to paint Buddhist monks, privately at first - as a form of meditation. Only later did I grasp the dharmic sense of responsibility inherent in this new body of work. I needed to paint these paintings. And I found that the audience I had developed over the years felt the need to see them also. They have given me their trust that I will create paintings that speak of our times but also provide clues to a future path into the unknown."

My painting Monk Station continues this theme and brings a saffron robed pilgrim into a 21st century urban moment. Inspired by a subway station in Montréal, this painting looks at the place of the spirit in our fast paced lives.

More on Monk Station at https://greggchadwick.blogspot.com/2021/09/monk-station.html

Collection at https://www.saatchiart.com/.../Seeds.../1376557/638724/view

#HappyNewYear #SeedsofOptimism #SaatchiArt #HatsuYume #contemporaryart #contemporaryartist #saffron #artcollector #buddha #buddhism

No comments: